I’m launching a new virtual gathering for anyone who wants to create in the midst of daily life, between work and family.
Create in the Chaos is a series of hour-long sessions on the writing life, designed for parents (but open to anyone whose life feels too full for creative pursuits). I want to encourage you, answer your questions about the writing/publishing/speaking worlds, and help you build community with others who can support your work.
- Monthly mentoring sessions including presentation, discussion, and Q&A
- Resource sheets with books, websites, and creators for more inspiration
- Topics drawn from your questions: how to get started & keep going
- Optional small groups to create your own community
- Sliding scale fees & scholarships available
- Bundle discount: get all 3 sessions for $75 (or $30 each)
Whether you want inspiration to get started—or practical steps to make writing/speaking your career—Create in the Chaos can help you.
You’ll get new perspectives and practical tips on ways to turn your dreams into reality, whether you’re looking to start writing, find places to publish your work, or dive into social media.
You’ll also get to connect with others looking for small groups to support their creative pursuits. Most importantly, you’ll give yourself the time and space to take the next step and see what happens.
We’ll talk about getting started, discerning your calling, getting published, balancing work and rest, finding time to create while caring for your family, and the nuts and bolts of writing routines—all to help you share your story.
Learn more here or leave a comment if you’ve got questions. Sliding scale fees and scholarships are available if you need; I always want my work to be accessible for you.
Join us for all 3 sessions to kickstart your creativity!
Topics & times:
- Knowing when you’re ready
- Taking the first step (or the next step)
- What support systems you need in place
- Finding a niche
- Launching around your topic
- Owning your expertise (or your curiosity)
VOCATION & DISCERNMENT
- Discerning your calling
- Choosing which projects to pursue
- Navigating multiple callings—to creativity, work, and family
CREATIVITY, WORK, & FAMILY
- Finding time for work and rest
- Writing on the margins: tried & true tips
- How to create while working & caring for family
THE PRACTICE OF WRITING
- Healthy habits & weekly routines
- Book writing: how to start (and how to finish!)
- Finding flow vs. meeting deadlines: pushing past perfectionism
THE ART OF SPEAKING
- Getting started: finding your first venues
- Crafting the talk: stories, structure, and spreading the word
- Fees, contracts, and negotiations (everything we don’t talk about)
Please note: if you register for the 3-session bundle after earlier sessions have passed, or if you cannot attend a live session, you will gain access to the recorded session(s) & all resource handouts.
This blog is where I started creating in the chaos of my own life, nearly 12 years ago now.
Many writers have shelved their old websites or deleted the archives. But I have a tender spot in my heart for this record of my first steps, every fit and start.
Thank you to those who have been reading my words from the beginning and for those who are just joining now. If you’ve ever felt the nudge to create – to write, paint, draw, speak, or dream – I hope you’ll join us for Create in the Chaos to imagine what your next step might be.